Stuc a' Chroin and Ben Vorich

Stuc a' Chroin and Ben Vorich

Wednesday 3 March 2010

Cairngorm explosions

Such has been the snowfall in the Highlands this winter that, for the very first time, controlled explosions have been carried out to check the stability of the snowpack in the Cairngorm ski area. As a further reminder of the dangerous conditions prevailing in the hills, a huge avalanche has swept the west face of Aonach Dubh in Glen Coe - see Alan Kimber's site.

Yesterday, driving down Glen Eagles in glorious spring sunshine, we saw the debris of an avalanche which had blocked the road last week. It was easily big enough to have carried away any passing car and the slopes of the modest hills rising above the A823, were covered in medium-sized avalanche tracks.


Carlin Maggie, Bishop Hill

On Monday, I found myself on windslab as I made my way across the slopes to photograph this pinnacle. Needless to say, I made a rapid retreat and approached by a safer route.

No comments: