Stuc a' Chroin and Ben Vorich

Stuc a' Chroin and Ben Vorich

Monday 4 September 2017

Friday 1 September - an old friend

The 360 degree view from the summit of Morrone was one of the best we've ever had on this fine hill. In particular, Lochnagar held the eye, even though its impressive cliffs aren't visible from here.

The approach through the Birks is always a memorable part of the walk but today it was a beautifully silent place. I felt it would be a shame to break this peace by talking, but paradoxically said so to Lynne...

Some German walkers arrived at the top with their children but otherwise we had the place to ourselves - or so we thought. Fluttering, bright yellow canopies apparently rising out of the heathery slopes a few metres away revealed the presence of parapenters. Soon they were airborne.

We took our seats by the mountain rescue hut and enjoyed the sun, a rare treat this year. The despoilation of the top with masts and buildings didn't detract from our sense of happiness at being back among our beloved highland hills.

It was a very different story this time last year. I arrived at the windy summit wet, my brand new Montane Air Jacket in Pertex Shield AP fabric proving useless. I was irritated, understandably. Much worse, I was tired from an easy ascent and didn't know why. Altogether I was less than happy.

Today I was feeling good, stronger than I have done for a very long time and relishing the day out in such perfect weather.

Click to enlarge Lynne's photo 































Sent from my iPhone











Sent from my iPhone

4 comments:

Sir Hugh said...

A good post - I really felt as though I was there.

afootinthehills said...

Thanks for your kind words. For some reason we hardly took any photographs and those I did take turned out to be rather poor. I'll be interested to read about your new camera and see the results.

Alan Sloman said...

It's wonderful to read a really upbeat post, Gibson.
All power to you, Sir!
😊

afootinthehills said...

You are too kind Alan. You are of course a master at the upbeat post which I could never hope to match.